May 13, 2023
The camera is only part of video surveillance system, even if camera is intact, surveillance screen may not be displayed, freeze or be lost. If you want to completely solve problem of network monitoring, you often need to check every connected device before you can judge. Below, we summarize 10 questions to solve network monitoring problem completely.
Unable to find IP camera
Did you change IP address of IP camera? Make sure IP camera and NVR are connected to each other. (ping)
Image freezes when camera is connected to NVR
Picture freezing is often caused by network bandwidth problems, including external equipment switches, fiber optic devices, DVRs, network cables, etc. For monitoring, you can reduce frame rate, resolution, bit rate, etc., and connect a camera to PC to monitor whether real-time image is smooth.
Black screen from camera
1. Check if power supply is connected well and if supply voltage meets requirements
2. Try connecting one camera to PC. If images appear, it may be due to IP address conflicts with other cameras or bandwidth has reached upper limit.
3. When using a PoE power supply, check network cable (the quality of network cable is not good)
The image has twill lines, water ripples and horizontal lines
This situation is not necessarily related to product itself. In many cases, it is caused by following reasons:
1. If there are problems with quality of wire, it is recommended to use national standard wire as much as possible. Poor quality wires are subject to transmission interference.
2. The video cable or camera is subjected to a strong magnetic field. Strong magnetic field sources such as powerful motors, high frequency transmitters, etc.; strong magnetic fields will interfere with most cameras
3. Transmission line too long
4. When evaluating, replace camera with a cable, power supply, etc., connect and test separately.
Images are sometimes missing
1. Is supply voltage stable
2. Is crystal head of network cable loose or not?
3. Is power cord unplugged or poor contact
4. The network bandwidth reaches upper limit, which sometimes results in no image transmission from the camera.
Infrared camera works fine during day, but no image at night
The reason is that power of power supply or PoE switch is not adequate, because infrared all-in-one camera works same as a normal camera during day, but when infrared light works at night, working current suddenly increases and load is exceeded.
How many cameras can be connected to one switch
According to different parameter settings of each network camera (resolution, frame rate, image quality, etc.), for example, stream bandwidth of a 720P camera (200W pixel) is 4Mbps, and actual bandwidth of switch is only a theoretical value. About 60% of a 100M switch (100M switch is about 60Mbps and Gigabit is 600Mbps)
1. If you use a 100M switch, you can connect 15 (15*=60Mbps)
2. If you are using gigabit switches, you can connect 150 (150?=600M)
3. The main H.264 cameras are shown as an example. If it is an H.265 camera, bandwidth at same image quality will be halved, which means it can carry twice as many surveillance cameras.
Insufficient power supply for speed dome using POE switch
The power used by conventional speed dome cameras is often higher than other types of cameras, so you should pay attention to choice of a POE+ switch when choosing a PoE power source at site. It is recommended to use the power supply for power supply. (Considering factors such as distance, environment, stability, etc.)
Notes when NVR and camera are different brands
1. Currently, most cameras from major manufacturers use 0NVIF protocol. Pay attention to protocol matching when adding cameras to NVR.
2. Only image display and normal video recording is required. As a rule, different brands are basically compatible. If you need to set alarm functions (motion detection, intrusion detection, etc.), please use same brand of NVR and cameras.
3. When a malfunction occurs and it is not possible to clearly determine whether it is a camera error or a malfunction of NVR, technology of manufacturer of same brand can provide technical support.
Why can't I add a high definition camera to NVR?
Please check maximum camera resolution supported by NVR, if it is not supported, reduce appropriate resolution in camera settings.